Types of Speech
There are numerous types of speech and giving any speech can be terrifying but all speeches follow a similar outline. Below you will find pages which have details of various special occasion speeches. If you want to get a really good feel for giving a speech I suggest that you look, not only at the type of speech you have to give, but a few of the other ones as well.
Four types of speech
- Persuasive Speech. You can give a speech to persuade someone to do something or buy a product or service or perhaps to get people to vote in a particular way.
- Informative Speech. You can give an informative speech where you are informing people of something.
- Demonstrative speech where you demonstrate an idea - you are informing and teaching and this speech includes a demonstration.
- Special Occasion Speech such as a weddig speech or retirement speech
Please remember that people may complain if a speech is too long, very few people complain if a speech is short!
- Every speech needs a purpose and this purpose is not always the same as the title of your speech.
- Are you making a speech to persuade someone to do something?
- Are you saying thank you to people?
- Are you explaining how to do something?
- Are you trying to sell something (even yourself)?
- Once you know the purpose of your speech you can start to write it. Every speech needs an introduction, a middle and an end.
- Do not rush when you get towards the end, you may be relieved to get there but to your audience the end is as important as the beginning.
- Don't wait for last minute inspiration - it rarely arrives.
Topics for your speech
Look here at my list of 40 ideas for different types of speeches/talks
Click on the different types of special occasion speeches below for more information about each one
For more detailed information on presenting a speech please read my Giving A Speech page